Saturday 26 April 2014

Horticultural Braggery - 04/26/2014

Here are some plants.

Nepenthes singalana x clipeata

Notes: I got this plant from Leilani Nepenthes at the 2012 ICPS convention. It took a good while (like, two years? Not too shabby...) to get established in my collection and start producing pitchers that were bigger than the ones on the plant when I bought it. In retrospect, feeding it probably would've yielded faster growth, but who has time for that?

Nepenthes talangensis x veitchii

Notes: This plant appears to have plateaued (the highest form of flattery) in terms of size or growth development or anything related to it being larger than when I got it. This pitcher is a bit bigger than the ones before it though, so that's good. I got the plant from Best Carnivorous Plants back in 2012.

Drosera aliciae "Silvermine RSA"

Notes: I got this plant from another grower a while back. It grows well and I can't complain about anything in particular. Can't get it to flower, but that's the plant's choice and I can't do anything about it. It's a lot shinier and fuller than previous forms of the plant I've grown, modern media leads me to believe this is because of Mabelline branded products. 

Utricularia sandersonii

Notes: I've grown this plant for what seems like forever, or I've grown versions of it for that long, I might have killed it a few times in between. It's one of the easiest Utricularia to grow, and it has neat looking flowers that look a bit like angry rabbits. It also makes fantastic ground cover in the pots where it grows, as well as sprouting annoying little runners all over the place and invading all the other pots of plants surrounding it. They really are the plant equivalent of rabbits. 

Drosera graomogolensis "Itacaramba, Minas Geras, Brazil"

Notes: I got a bunch of these (several hundred, actually. I really like this plant) from Best Carnivorous Plants back in 2012. I still have three or four pots overflowing with the things, which rates highly among my best decisions in plant keeping. This species is as easy as they come, and as glorious as they get. Because I like it so much here are some more pictures of the same plant.

Trichomes on the flowerstalk
Stalked glands, which are the responsible for the whole "bug killing" thing that the PR guys won't let us talk about

That's all for today, hopefully the plants continue growing regardless of my bumbling attempts at care, and I can brag about them more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment